Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, September 27, 2013

#0003: Louvin Brothers - Tragic Songs Of Life (1956) []

They're not joking.  These are indeed tragic songs.  It's not very long but it feels as long as the Appalachian mountains of which the sound is so reminiscent.  The two guys are clean cut, suit wearing types and don't fit with the aural picture of banjo-toting, genetic cut-n-shuts so I'm not really justified in calling it hillbilly tripe.  But that's what it sounds like to me.  Harsh harmonies sung through the nose over treble-heavy mandolins.  Repeat ad nauseam for 35 minutes when presumably they went home to fuck their sisters.

No stars.  I accept it kinda defeats the 5-star reviewing paradigm to have zero stars but I do think it's appropriate when something is so completely devoid of merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)