Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, September 27, 2013

#0002: Elvis Presley (1956) [***]

I am not and never have been a big fan of Elvis.  I have always felt he was over rated by quite some considerable margin.  That said, I think this his eponymous first album is thoroughly deserving of its place in the book.  I can imagine the impact such a collection would have had in those days and so its social significance alone qualifies it to be included.

The album is full of twists and turns, changes of pace and style that kept me interested for the duration in spite of my aversion to his voice.  Blue Suede Shoes is an explosive opener and is followed by a slow song and the pattern continues but each time the gear shifts from high to low and vice versa something else changes too.  Call it colour, call it texture or whatever you like.  I was left with a feeling of having been taken somewhere and entertained rather than jolted from one key, one rhythm to another.

Three stars.  Mainly because giving four at this early stage might create problems later on when the Beatles show up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)