Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, March 07, 2014

#0060: The Beatles - Revolver [*****]

This is Rolling Stone's #3 album of all time.  It's not mine but it's up there somewhere.

Although the first time I heard Taxman, I thought my mate had put the Jam on cuz Start was in the charts at the time and the similarities are undeniable.  Of course, I had myself a bit of an anachronistic, arse-about-face plagiarism paradox.  Though, being a boy of 12 and a soi-disant dickhead to boot, one shouldn't be surprised.

Over the years Taxman has become a favourite as has Eleanor Rigby.  It is quite simply one of the best songs ever written.  The things that can be done with it when you're playing it seem almost limitless.  Check out Stanley Jordan's jazz version for an extreme example of this.  I do my own version on the piano.  It's a wonderfully woven tale lyrically too.  A sad tale of a lonely, unattractive woman.   Well, let's face it, she's probably not a looker is she?  The priest would rather darn his socks than take a punt and she hasn't even got the nouse to offer.  Jokes aside, the strings are the really special thing about the original version.   

Now I want to be careful not to gush uncontrollably over this album cuz it's not without its stinkers.  I'm Not Sleeping is ok I guess but sleeping is usually exactly what I end up doing cuz between that and George Harrison with his fucking sitars twiddling on like a dodgy curry house there's not much to keep my interest other than the promise of better things to come.

And they do come.  I don't want to commit to this but Here There & Everywhere is definitely a contender for my favourite Beatles song ever.  It's just beautiful.  Usually a song like this you would attach to a lost love and it would always remind you of them.  Not so with this.  The song is about nascent love and as such it detaches you from past love and begets you once more into that sickeningly fluffy world of candy floss, mooning and gawping.

From the piano on Good Day Sunshine, the illicit legend of Doctor Robert to the blaring romper stomper Got To Get You Into My Life and the ethereal, cosmic mind bender Tomorrow Never Knows, all presented with the ubiquitous trademark harmonies, this album is just exquisite.

If it wasn't for the weaker dross I'd've given it six.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)