Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, March 07, 2014

#0059: The Who - My Generation [****]

Ever since Live-8 a few years ago when Daltrey and Townsend played, I've been referring to them as The Twho.  I've always loved them but I only ever heard the Polydor Story OF The Who compilation, Tommy and to a lesser extent Quadrophenia and Who's Next.  So I'm grateful for the chance to go back to the start and try to listen with fresh ears.

My Generation is their first album and unlike the Stones they've steamed straight on in with original songs from the off, which I dare say was seen as a bold move in those days.

Daltrey's legendary battleaxe vocal sits astride Moon's unbridled drumming while Entwistle, whom I heard Daltrey once describe as a "lead bassist" and the brains of the outfit put the flesh in between.  It's rich and gutsy and each song is distinct from the last.

Listening to the title track reminds me of their farewell gig in 1980.  Some farewell.  It was the first time I'd seen Daltrey sing "why don't you all fuck off".  Good job my parents weren't in.  I was so impressed with All The Swearing tho.

I'm only giving this 4 stars cuz some of the songs are lacking the inventive arrangement ideas seen elsewhere on the album.  The Ox was a bit of a nasty  surprise.  I thought it was going to be a bass feature but it's a thrashing drum-dominated thing with Jerry Lee Lewis-esque piano on it.  So that was a bit shit.  Some people like all that punky cacophony but it leaves me cold.

The lasting feeling I get from this album is the versatility in Daltrey's voice and how the songs manage to stand apart from one another while still being unmistakably Who songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)