Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, November 29, 2013

#0047: Buck Owens - I've Got A Tiger By The Tail [*]

The title does not bode well.  Sure enough, that ol' country bleating kicks in right on cue.  I shouldn't complain.  It's kinda like the Video Nasty outcry of the 80s.  Before VHS certification, people were taking home movies with titles like "Full Frontal Footage Of People Being Murdered With Power Tools" and then complain that they were violent and gory and unsuitable for their children.

Buck Owens is a Country name and I've Got A Tiger By The Tail is a very typical Country title.  It's meant to be dramatic, to express danger or some other intense situation but the image is...pants.  I could find a fancier word but pants does the job.  It's just pants.

The guitar work on Trouble And Me is pretty good and I like how the guitar solo switched from 335 to lap steel (or at least I think that's what they were) and his voice is a lot better than the nasal, hoovering-up-kittens vocal I've been subjected to previously.  

The production is glossier too with a much more rounded sound coming out.  So it's not void of merit even if it's not your preferred genre.  But to me these are songs based on the same two riffs over the same two rhythms telling stories with all the engrossing appeal of one of those over-confident, friendly and exuberant nerds going into intimate detail about the number of error codes defined in the hypertext willy fudge interface version 3.8 specification.

Your level of enthusiasm does not change the content or stop it being so fuck boring that you didn't even notice me use the phrase "willy fudge".  

Oh I dunno.  It's just pants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)