Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Thursday, November 28, 2013

#0046: The Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers [**]

Okay, look, this isn't a Bob Dylan situation.  I don't hate the Rolling Stones.  I'm just a Beatles guy is all.  It's not like you have to choose.  I know a few people who don't have a preference.  I just genuinely, in general, prefer The Beatles.

That said, we're not really assessing even the Rolling Stones here.  This album is a set of other people's tunes that were possibly already well known before selected for this, the Stones first outing.  Can I Get A Witness was on the Dusty Springfield album I just listened to - and I have to say it was a better version.

It's difficult to separate the band whose original work includes some of the best songs of all time from the covers band on this recording.  The Stones sound is there and these versions are distinctive but it's still very much of a muchness.

I was gonna go with three stars but in all honesty, I don't think I'm ever going to listen to this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)