Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Saturday, November 09, 2013

#0022: Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs [*]

I get how music can make you question things: social values, the meaning of life, whether you were a selfish, meanie to your ex-girlfriend or whether she was just a duplicitous whore. The question raised in my mind by this album is "Why?"  More specifically, why is this an album I must hear before I die?  Did this guy really gun a man down in some obscure town in the Old West and then write a song about it?  That would be interesting.  It'd be a pretty stupid move for a popular singer to confess his crime to a comparatively large audience.  But it would at least makes these stories interesting.

Yessirreee bub it's another country album.  This one's got more than 2 parts to its harmonies and the guitar playing has a bit more finesse to it but it's still whiny old toss.  I wouldn't normally judge.  I'm sure the people of the time welcomed this kind of noise to drown out the bedlam of those moonshine voices in their heads.
Each to his own.  But songs and/or a sound important enough to be required listening more than a half a century later?  I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)