Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Thursday, November 07, 2013

#0021: Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis [****]

I do believe this makes him the first artist to appear twice in the list.  And fair enough.  If Sarah Vaughan's album is a sure fire way to get lucky then this album should come with a money off voucher for the morning after pill.

You put this on and the lights dim inside your head.  The sweet stupor of inhibition-lowering alcohol washes over you without imbibing a drop.  I don't want to call it smooth cuz that'll put the aural image of Kenny G in your head and this is a far cry from the synthetic nature of those productions.

This glides.

From the opening bars of what is almost certainly the album's most well known track - So What - to the end of...the last one (depending on which issue you're playing), it is seductive and deliciously relaxing.  The laid-back, who-gives-a-fuck message of track 1 permeates the mood throughout.

This is another of the albums that I already knew very well, by the way.  I've fallen asleep listening to it many times but its soporific qualities are in this case a positive.  Yep, I've fallen asleep to this many times.  I didn't say I was alone or what I was doing beforehand ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Sinatra has already appeared twice I'm afraid to say ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it. Knew I shoulda checked. Wee Small Hours is so _very_ forgettable tho.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)