Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, September 27, 2013

#0007: Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swinging Lovers (1956) [****]

This is more like it, Frank.  Buble and Bennett have sung pretty much all of the songs on this classic.  It's the sort of broad, rich, big band extravagance you associate with Old Blue Eyes.  Gone now the insipid mewling of Wee Small Hours as we are treated to some of the best Rat Pack fare in history.

Notably present is Making Whoopee, of which Ray Charles's version is still my personal favourite.  I Get A Kick Out Of You and Old Devil Moon are inaugurated into the Sinatra arsenal, both of which receive excellent treatment on Jamie Cullum's Twentysomething album.

What I particularly loved about this is the appearance of a song I have never gone looking for but which I have loved for many years.  How About You is a song favoured by Robin Williams's character in the Terry Gilliam film The Fisher King. The film is funny, touching and as you might expect from Gilliam, completely bizarre.  Williams is superb, as are Jeff Bridges, Amanda Plummer and the resplendent Mercedes Reuhl, who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance.

I have digressed into a bit of a film review there.  Maybe I'll get that book too.

This album finishes with How About You, which made me smile and if you've seen the Fisher King, you'll understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)