Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, September 27, 2013

#0006: Duke Ellington - At Newport (1956) [***]

Jazz is like the Rubik Cube.  Not everybody can do it.  And that applies to listening as well as playing.  In my own limited experience as a jazz student and listener, I've found that the majority of it annoys me. But those areas of jazz that I do like I tend to be very passionate about.

I had never listened to Duke Ellington until I heard this and I was very pleasantly surprised although it does take some perseverance.  Take The A Train is opened by one of the most hideous piano solos I've ever heard but once the horns kick in, it's great.  There are a number of tracks you would do well to skip the first one to two minutes to get to the good stuff.  I could not allow myself that luxury if I'm gonna do this properly so...you're welcome.

1 comment:

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)