Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Monday, October 28, 2013

#0013: Machita - Kenya [**]

It starts with drums.  Yes - that kind of drums.  For a minute I thought I was just going to be writing "see album #0011" and leaving it at that.  It couldn't have been more than a couple of minutes long but by the end of it I was once more praying for the sweet release of death.

But after that, the blood-pressure-tripling, excessively busy bongos are masked by some really beautiful horn work.  It's still Latin.  Don't get me wrong.  Tequila and percussion should be kept apart with the same tight regulatory system as petroleum spirit and matches.  But there are tunes and from track 2 to 12, it's almost pleasant.  And if the centrifugal power behind that positive spin is more than a little driven by gratitude that track 1 has finished, then that's fine by me.

Maybe that's the message of the album: It Could Be Worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)