Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Sunday, October 27, 2013

#0012: Miles Davis - The Birth Of The Cool [***]

This is the first of the albums on the list that I actually own.  I bought this CD back in 1995 as part of my jazz education.  That sounds like I have some kind of formal jazz credentials.  I don't.  My jazz education is this CD, a Best Of Blue Note compilation my then girlfriend bought me and the first Sting album.  

This was a very influential album in the world of jazz.  Presumably because it did things that nobody had done before.  But I've just listened to Basie's Complete Atomic and there's nothing on BOTC that Basie hadn't already covered.  To my ears, anyway.  And I preferred Basie's stuff.

That said, I do like this album and I play it reasonably regularly so...yeah.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)