Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Saturday, March 08, 2014

#0063: The Byrds - Fifth Dimension [*****]

I don't know much about the Byrds other than they are near the top of a very long list of artists who have pulled Bob Dylan's execrable wank out of the u-bend of Mount Effluent and turned them into classics.

The stereo picture of these songs is beautiful.  The 60s trend of left and right panning separate instruments is followed here but whereas in other works you feel like your headphones are broken, an elegant balance is struck widening the sonic experience to heavenly levels.  Over the top of this is a canopy of harmonic cloud, full and fluffy and quite reminiscent of Crosby, Stills and Nash.

So I go look it up on Wikipedia to discover that most of the songs were co-written by David Crosby.  Duh.

I am finding time and again with these albums that the good stuff has variety within a clearly defined style but the Byrds demonstrate a versatility of style ranging between classic folk and almost rockabilly pop.  I don't know how I never listened to these sooner.  It is one of the hopes I had when I began this project that I would discover things that will become a regular part of my listening patterns.  It's this level of songwriting, musicianship and sound engineering that make it worthwhile suffering the worthless guff in between.

Stand out tracks include 5D, Mr Spaceman, Eight Miles High and a version of Hey Joe.  The much-covered Hendrix version was in fact written by a guy called Billy Roberts.  This rendition is almost unrecognisable from the crashing, heavy lead laden classic so familiar to most.  It's fast, a real driving song and not without its own intricate guitar flavours.

And then out of the back of that frenetic tale of murder and abscondment comes Captain Soul.  I'm thinking about doing a cover version of it.  It's bloody fantastic.

The remainder of the album continues to surprise and delight with interesting production ideas and lyrical hooks and basically I can't find fault with it.  I think I've just come in my (not broken) headphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)