Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Monday, January 20, 2014

#0057: The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man [**]

It's not because it's a Bob Dylan song.  The version of Mr Tambourine Man found here is marvellous.  It's the hit version I was referring to in Bringing It All Back Home.  Lovely harmonies and doesn't go on so long you skip the land of Boredom completely and arrive instantaneously in the Vale of Pass-Me-A-Scissors-That-I-May-Gouge-Out-Mine-Eyes.  That's what you need from a chilled out 60s pop hit.  Job's a good'un.

The mistake The Byrds made is to collect 11 songs of almost identical rhythm and key and put them on the same album, which, it turns out is aptly named because that's what we've got here: twelve versions of Mr Tambourine Man.

Just to show there's no bad blood I'll put the title track on a compilation but this soporific, directionless drone couldn't hold my attention if you had my balls in a lion's gob while I was listening to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)