Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

#0043: Jacques Brel - A L'Olympia []

My French isn't good enough to understand the lyrics.  I have never heard of this man and I have no idea what he is singing about.  It's accordion, piano, bass and drums and what sounds like pennywhistle occasionally.  It sounds like the theme music to Twelve Monkeys, which is great if you're watching Twelve Monkeys.  Firstly, it's a real mood setter for the film.  Secondly, it only goes on for a minute or two at its longest.

Oh!  I just caught the words "dans les jardins".  So, something's happening in the gardens, apparently.  Perhaps the Army of the 12 Monkeys has released a deadly virus.  Yet Monsieur Brel remains unharmed.  Is that justice?

C'est trop facile de guarder un mauvais souvenir.  Donc, je doit oublier ces chansons et abandonner M Brel parce que mon -

[It's too easy to keep bad memories.  So I have to forget these songs and forgive Mr Brel because my - ]

Hang on - he just said "les Anglaises".  Twice.  That's "The English", that is.  I did French in school.   Hmmm: references to the English in a French song in the 1960s.  I think he might be being a bit racist, you know.  So, in the spirit of the album and of unity with my fellow Britons, the English, I'm going to indulge in a bit of racial stereotyping.

C'est la guerre.

The crowd in the theatre this was recorded in are going absolutely mental.  I can only assume they're French.  And that the lyrics are amazing.  After a few tracks it does kinda grow on you, but that may well be Stockholm syndrome.  Whatever it is, I can't say I'm terribly comfortable with this strange urge to bath in garlic and onions, remove my trousers and wee in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)