Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Sunday, November 17, 2013

#0040: James Brown - Live At The Apollo [**]

Remember Eddie Murphy when he was funny?  "What the fuck is James talking about?"  Listening to this old stuff is like watching the Tony Hancock show clips on comedy nostalgia shows.  It's funny but you wouldn't wanna watch an hour of it.  

Brown attacks his performance with unparalleled exuberance and his vocal prowess is unquestionable.  This recording is kinda choppy and rough though.  The sound of the crowd I have previously praised is too loud in this and overpowers the drums and the bass, which I think aren't being played that hard to be fair.  The horns get a fair shake but without the substance of the rhythm section, it's just a lot of screeching and parping.

I'm gonna give it two stars cuz I believe I would enjoy this if I heard it live or indeed if it was just engineered properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)