Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Thursday, November 14, 2013

#0037: Phil Spector - A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector [****]

As far as Christmas Albums By Convicted Murderers go, this isn't half bad.  

Jokes aside, contained here you'll find 5 or 6 iconic versions of Christmas songs.  Spector's nigh-on proprietary Wall Of Sound production method is sitting fat, jolly and right at home with these bouncy,good time tunes.  

There is always a certain sadness that comes over me when I hear these tunes - and others in that Now-That's-What-I-Call-Christmas List, a sadness that reflects my own experiences at this time of year.  For all the joy and gluttony in the world, Christmas time is a magnet for heartbreak too.  The Universe is like water in that respect.  It finds a way of balancing itself out.

Is it Darlene Love's rich, samite textured voice that evokes these feelings?  Maybe: I certainly don't get this wistfully reminiscent for Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas.  It's a very special sound and no matter where he is now, or how fucking weird he looks, he gave us this gift and it keeps on giving.

Take care of yourselves this Christmas.  And watch yourself on the booze.  Baby Jesus loves a drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)