Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Saturday, November 09, 2013

#0028: Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack [***]

As with Miles Davis Birth Of The Cool, one of the tracks on this album was also on the Best of Blue Note CD that old girlfriend got me.  So this one started with something familiar, which does give it a head start.  Jimmy Smith has a distinctive organ style and I like the mellow, walking blues style.  It's not really attention grabbing stuff though.  It's background music. It's the kind of cool, laid back, widdly fare that can make you look sophisticated if you have it playing when you have people round.  

I don't really have much else to say about it other than I think Jimmy Smith may have died recently.  Kinda wish he'd shown off a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)