Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Friday, November 24, 2017

#0099: I'm A Lonely Fugitive - Merle Haggard

There isn't a lot written about this album in the actual 1001 book and that was penned by somebody who's supposed to like this shit.  What fucking chance have I got?

This guy apparently was cashing in on Johnny Cash (shit - too late) becoming successful after going to prison.  Johnny Cash's songs had flavour.  I started this 33 minute album about 20 minutes ago and now, 40 years later I can tell you they do have flavour.  They have the *same* flavour. 

Okie from Muskogee boasts of not smoking marijuana or doing acid.  You've got brain damage cuz your daddy couldn't keep his dick out of your sister and you're preaching to me about psychedelics?  Fuck you, douchebag.  Play me another redneck polka.

Next track.  Oh I say, it's a redneck polka.  It's like I'm fucking psychic or something.

News just in.  In track 9 he claims to have always known he would lose you.  There's a few toothless hookers on the Ozark shore trying to figure out which of them he means but we know he's talking about his audience. 

There really isn't any point in my analysing the music for you or writing any kind of critique about the songs.  They are literally all the same shitty, primitive country* music. 

Zero stars.

* It's acoustic guitar, occasional very simple drums. Chords are mostly I and IV, you get a ii V I sometimes and if you're very well behaved he'll break out chord vi but I think it hurts his brain too much to contemplate the major 3rd on chord iii and give us even a little respite.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)