Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Sunday, June 28, 2015

#0088: Cream - Disraeli Gears [****]

Fucking iTunes.

The MP3 files I sync'd with my iPod didn't have the track numbers filled in so iTunes order the files alphabetically instead of by the original filenames, resulting in me listening to the album in the wrong order. 
 I have now rectified the situation but most of my notes are now irrelevant.  So I have to listen to it again.

I once owned a cassette tape of The Cream of Eric Clapton. I didn't choose to buy it. I was sent it by one of those mail order music catalogues and forgot to send it back so I was stuck with it.  I never once listened to it all the way thru. I would fall asleep. I'd get lost in my thoughts. I've actually written other songs while that tape was playing.  Not that it was shit.  Blues just has to be truly special to hold my attention for longer than a few minutes.  

Two of the tracks off that compilation are on this so I'm expecting three things from this album.  (1) Addictive riffs (2) fine solo work and (3) to lose concentration often.  

When it was in the wrong order I praised it for underplaying the opening and leaving the two belters until later.  Meanwhile back in the real world, the first two tracks are _those_ two tracks.  I won't say much about them.  They're very well known and in some cases, so well known as for that to be detrimental.

Strange Brew is a staple for Halloween parties and together with Sunshine Of Your Love these whorey old standards have littered the set lists of pub covers bands since time immemorial.  Well, immemorial to me, at least.  So let's move on, although do check out Spanky Wilson's version of Sunshine Of Your Love. It's pretty spesh.

So instead of the daring beginning, we've got the best stuff up front with its tits out and if I hadn't already heard it I'd be thinking whatever's coming next has its work cut out.  World Of Pain however, is unfazed by its task.  It has that feel I associate with Ramble On, but it's slinkier: not the ball-searing anthem of transients the Led would scream for us years later.  I fucking love this track. I'm gonna listen to it again.

Okay, _now_ they're struggling.  Nothing can follow that.  Dance The Night Away has a softer feel, playing to the plaintive side of the minor key.  It's pretty quick nonetheless and keeping the pace up is the only move they have.  There's this tinny, might-be-a mandolin on there?  Annoying.  If it was just trying to hold the fort until the next belter then job done but as Blue Condition shows, it's more the evidence of decline than the provision of variety.  Blue Condition is sung by someone else I think.  It's a very basic blues, not without its charm, but only time will tell if it becomes a blessing or a burden.

Tales Of Brave Ulysses is a harbinger of progressive rock, I think, both in the almost rubato prologue and the generally Gothic lyrics with the classical theme.  It's still basically White Room once it kicks in but it has higher ideals that while a little pretentious are well executed.  And that's the difference between good and a bit shit for not just prog but glam and musical theatre and probably some others too.

It feels distinctly like SWLABR is the opening of side two.  A big instrumental tag that bookends every verse, led by what I think is a very compressed guitar gives way to another of those couldn-t-give-a-nutsack grooves but each carries with it an edge.  Another song that's going to grow on me even more so, I think.

In the words of Simon Le Bon, "Oh my god, what's this?"

We're Going Wrong is an attempt at an ethereal, atmospheric kinda thing I think.  It's some kinda warning, probably about society, lyrically could be anything.  Builds up to a crescendo, doesn't go on too long, doesn't really earn its vinyl.

Outside Woman Blues gets us back on track tho.  What the fuck, guys?  There's this repeating riff at the end of every single line and you'd think you'd get bored of it but it's such a tasty tune, you sing along with it and then he starts harmonising with it.  Just great.

Take It Back is the roadhouse blues I'd been expecting the entire album and it's every bit as pedestrian as you might expect.  Not bad.  You can even enjoy it.  But it's not exciting.  Let's move on to the last track, which is the band showing they've got a sick and weird sense of humour.

Mother's Lament is sung in full on mockney and tells the tale of a woman who didn't throw her baby out with the bath water.  It was so thin, it went down the plughole.  Nice vaudeville piano on and I bet they had a right laugh recording it.  Leaves you with a smile on your face.  Yeah....I'm coming back to this often, in spite of the shit ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)