Search (by artist, title, index or by star rating - e.g. "[*]")

Saturday, October 26, 2013

#0010: Thelonius Monk - Brilliant Corners [**]

A lot of people have sung the praises of TM to me for a lot of years but I never actually got around to sitting down and listening to any of it.  I feel obliged, due to the large of body of compliments already accrued in his favour to write something of the same ilk.  Genius.  Unprecedented.  Visionary.

But it's really not.  The clue is in the traditional melodies.  When he does take a break from, what I'm going to nomenclate as "fucking odd", the accessible melodies are dull and predictable.  Never mind the jazz.  The players play well.  It sounds good.  It's not exciting.

But I am obliged to say something positive about it.  Cuz it's him.  And the best I can muster is: mathematically justifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like arseholes. They're never wrong. But I'd rather you express one than be the other :-)